南京夜网 22/07/2019

Audit calls for more and better CCTV cameras

IF raw numbers were anything to go by, a drop in requests for CCTV footage over the two years they have been running could signal their success in helping reduce crime in Nowra’s CBD.
Nanjing Night Net

In 2001 Shoalhaven City Council received 25 requests for footage.

In 2012, 16 requests were received.

In an audit of the 18 cameras submitted to council in September 2012 police claimed the cameras had contributed to an improvement in the behaviour of people in the CBD.

Anecdotal evidence from the police provided for quarterly reports, showed they believed the cameras were an effective tool in identifying alleged offenders.

Nowra Police reported that the CCTV cameras had been of assistance in various investigations.

They said they were useful in establishing the identity of an offender, however pointed out they were regarded as one of many tools to assist police in dealing with crime.

Since the cameras were installed in the CBD, there have been requests by police for an expansion of the system.

Police have requested cameras be installed at Morisons Arcade, the corner of Berry and Junction streets and the old bus terminal in Schofield Lane.

It hasn’t all been good news however. Technical problems with the system meant there had been periods when the system had malfunctioned.

Problems arose about the need to adjust focus and camera angle of view on some cameras.

Cabling had to be replaced after being damaged by birds and a server needed to be upgraded to prevent it from crashing.

The audit said the cameras represented ageing technology and should be upgraded to cameras that could offer higher quality resolution.

However if cameras were replaced, software would also need to be upgraded.

Following the audit a number of recommendations were made relating to the cameras and associated hardware.

Recommendations included that police and council review the location, number and quality of cameras in the Nowra CBD.

It was also recommended that council seek funds to install more cameras in the CBD to ensure there were no black spots.

EYE SPY: Live vision from the Nowra CCTV cameras can be monitored by officers at Nowra Police Station.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

南京夜网 22/07/2019

Residents rally for raffle of riches

KURRAJONG Waratah’s Art Union raffle is in full swing with scores of volunteers out in force selling tickets for the big draw.
Nanjing Night Net

Just $5 will get you a ticket in the anticipated draw, with Toyota vehicles to the value of $50,000 being offered to the winner.

Home entertainment or furniture packages are being offered for second and third place – to the tune of $5000 and $3000 respectively.

Kurrajong Waratah development services manager Cathie Smith said the organisation had been particularly fortunate to have the community get behind it to sell tickets for this year’s raffle.

“It’s always difficult to find people who can give the time, particularly when the weather’s hot,” she said.

“We did reach a point where we were looking for additional sellers and we were very fortunate that some of our friends in service clubs and corporations came to our rescue to complement the sellers that we’ve had for many years.”

Given the need for volunteers, Kurrajong Waratah is already on the lookout for helpers for next year’s raffle.

Money raised from the raffle will help raise funds for vital projects for the organisation, which provides for more than 1100 people with disabilities in the region.

Mrs Smith said excitement was already building in anticipation of the draw, to take place on February 22.

“It’s a wonderful feeling to see someone be rung and offered a $50,000 car,” he said.

“There are so many reactions from people – it’s quite an interesting thing to anticipate.”

Tickets can be purchased from the Marketplace, outside Myer or from Kurrajong Waratah.

HELPING HAND: RE/MAX is helping sell tickets for the Kurrajong Waratah Art Union raffle, with Dave Skow and Christa Lindsay doing a shift, along with regular volunteer Chris Chalmers. Picture: Keith Wheeler

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

南京夜网 22/07/2019

MP’s fire trail ire doused by RFS

AN audit of fire trail management and closures in the past 20 years has been demanded by South Coast MP Shelley Hancock following the recent Deans Gap bushfire.
Nanjing Night Net

The call came following a claim by former bulldozer driver Bob Gledhill that Drovers Ridge fire trail, which had been closed, was an important line of defence against fires in the far west of Morton National Park.

Mrs Hancock said she was appalled to learn that volunteers and contractors had to reopen fire trails, which she believed had not been maintained, during the recent fire emergency.

Mrs Hancock recently told 2ST she was angry over the closure of fire trails in the region and was prepared to raise the matter on the floor of State Parliament.

In particular Mrs Hancock was concerned over the closure of the Drovers Ridge fire trail which used to run from near Burrier to Touga near Nerriga.

However, Shoalhaven’s acting fire control officer Mark Williams said the RFS was happy with the overall management of fire trails in the Shoalhaven.

He said the upkeep of the region’s 200 fire trails was a joint effort involving members of the Shoalhaven Bush Fire Management committee.

The area covered by the committee is more than 4600 square kilometres, spanning 160 kilometres of coast from Berry to Durras Lake.

Throughout the area, land tenures are held by federal, state and local government as well as private landholders.

Mr Williams, who is also the executive officer of the Shoalhaven Bush Fire Management committee but was speaking on behalf of the RFS, said there were no issues with fire trails that had been raised with the RFS to his knowledge.

“We have over 200 trails in Shoalhaven that are identified and managed by the committee.

“We can dictate the level of quality required for each trail. For example, a primary trail must be maintained in usable condition.

“The secondary fire trails are identified for us to call on should we need them.

“The reason bulldozers go out is to dress up any secondary trails that have been lying dormant but might be needed depending on the fire behaviour.

“We don’t put dozer drivers in the direct path of fire.

“It is not feasible to maintain all 200 fire trails as primary trails.”

Mr Williams said while he was not familiar with the Drovers Ridge fire trail he said it may well have been a prudent trail.

“From an RFS perspective we’re happy with what we’ve got and if anything comes up we always have the ability to discuss it in the committee.”

Mr Williams said landholders who had been instructed by the committee to build or maintain a fire trail were able to apply for funding to assist with the work.

National Parks and Wildlife Service regional manager for the South Coast Diane Garrood said Drovers Ridge in Morton National Park was a remote walking route and not identified as a fire trail or as a trail of strategic importance by firefighting agencies in the Shoalhaven.

“It was not required as a fire control line in the recent Deans Gap fire southwest of Nowra,” Ms Garrood said.

“As part of a co-ordinated approach, the NSW National Parks and Wildlife Service work closely with other agencies and land managers on fire management in the Shoalhaven to minimise bushfire risk, and this includes the maintenance of a network of identified fire trails.

“The Drovers Ridge area has not had vehicle traffic for more than 15 years.”

FIRE CONTROL: A containment line constructed by a bulldozer on the north-western front of the recent Deans Gap fire.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

南京夜网 22/07/2019

Parent anger over Stanley school ‘closure’

GALLERY: Click or flick across the above image for more photos from the fiery meeting.
Nanjing Night Net

ANOTHER meeting has been called to discuss the fate of Stanley Primary School after frustrated parents say their questions weren’t answered last night.

What was meant to be a short community forum turned into a heated hour-long discussion with more than 70 attending.

Indigo councillor Bernard Gaffney moved for another meeting next week.

“This is going around in circles,” Cr Gaffney said.

The meeting next Wednesday will involve members of council, parents of prospective students and the Department of Education regional field officer Tony Gooden.

The school is not operating this term after most of its 11 students from last year enrolled at other schools due to what parents say were issues with the principal.

Parent Katherine Collins voiced her concerns.

She had to find a new school for her daughter the day before school returned.

“The department called and said there would be no school and asked what we were going to do with her,” she said.

“It was the day before school started and we were asked to find another school.

“They made a time for us to see the principal in Beechworth and she is there but she doesn’t like it.”

Mr Gooden said two students had to find a school at the last minute.

“They were already enrolled and didn’t realise what had happened,” he said.

“The department made sure they had a placement at Beechworth Primary School.”

Mrs Collins believed the school would be operating as normal had parents been able to talk with the principal, who has been on sick leave since November.

“If she sat down and had a talk it wouldn’t have gone this far,” Mrs Collins said.

Another resident said the department wanted the school to close.

Mr Gooden said the community’s opinion would be considered before any decision was made its future.

“We have not closed the school and have no intentions of closing the school,” he said.

Amber Croft was one of many parents who voiced their concerns. PHOTO: Tara Goonan.

concerned parent Katherine Collins, who has a daughter who was enrolled in the school as a 5th generation student, voiced her concerns. PHOTO: Tara Goonan.

Jenny O’Connor received a loud applause from the parents when she asked the Department of Education representative to be clear and to outline the intentions of the department moving forward. PHOTO: Tara Goonan.

Former Acting School Council President, Kimberley Taylor, expresses her concerns. PHOTO: Tara Goonan.

Kelli Hicks sharing her concerns. PHOTO: Tara Goonan.

Regional Field Officer with the Department of Education, Tony Gooden, addressing the group before question time. PHOTO: Tara Goonan.

Regional Field Officer with the Department of Education, Tony Gooden, addressing the group before question time. PHOTO: Tara Goonan.

PHOTO: Tara Goonan.

“We will consult … to see what possible future there is … but if it’s determined down the track that we can’t sustain a school in Stanley any longer then it will close.”

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

南京夜网 22/07/2019

Plea to restore bridge access

LONGTIME Parma Road resident David Phelps has encouraged Shoalhaven City Council staff to “think outside the square” when it comes to repairing the bridge over Parma Creek, which has been closed to traffic.
Nanjing Night Net

Access to Parma Road at Falls Creek from the Princes Highway has been cut following recent structural damage to the bridge, with council saying it may take at minimum of six weeks for repairs, depending on the supplying of materials needed.

Council had previously reduced both the speed and load limits on the bridge in an attempt to prolong its lifespan after it had suffered damage – it was even reduced to a single lane.

But it is believed more than one heavy vehicle used the road on the Monday of the recent long weekend, causing catastrophic failure in a key longitudinal timber beam.

Residents are now required to access Parma Road from the western end at Braidwood Road, in some case doubling the time it would take them to make the trip to Nowra or even longer if they were trying to head south to Jervis Bay.

Mr Phelps, who has lived on Parma Road for nearly 65 years, believes council could solve the problem easily in the interim, again allowing light traffic to cross the bridge.

“I’m no engineer, but I’ve got down under the bridge and had a look and as I understand it the major damage is to the split beam on the outside of the upstream side,” he said.

“I’m only a cow cockie but for a start, wouldn’t you try to strap or plate it to at least give it support?

“The bridge has already been reduced to one lane, allowing a walkway on the southern side, which is about two metres wide.

“Why not reduce that walkway to around a metre and move the roadway in two metres from the northern edge and that would still allow a single lane across the bridge that could be used by light traffic.

“There are two large beams in the centre of the bridge that could take the load.”

Another alternative Mr Phelps has suggested is a Bailey bridge, which is a type of portable, pre-fabricated, truss bridge, developed by the British during World War II for military use and currently used in emergencies by the RMS.

“A Bailey bridge could be placed on the southern side of the current bridge and used in the interim until the necessary repairs are carried out,” he said.

“I acknowledge that council has a duty of care but it’s not rocket science, let’s think outside the square.

“While it is estimated to be a minimum of six weeks I would say it will be a lot longer than that.”

Mr Phelps said there had been a huge increase in traffic using the road since work began on the Princes Highway upgrade at South Nowra.

“People try to whiz up our road or even Turpentine Road to try to avoid the traffic hold-ups at South Nowra,” he said.

“I heard one resident on the western end of the road say they estimated up to 2000 vehicles a day were using the road – RMS and the council combined to tar some of the western end of the road to alleviate the dust problems.”

At this stage the buses taking students to Falls Creek School are stopping on the eastern side of the bridge and dropping off the students who then walk the 800-odd metres to the school.

“The school has a lot of students who come from the southern area and they are brought to school by the parents and they also have to stop on the eastern side and walk them over,” Mr Phelps said.

“It appears this may take longer than we have been told – a bus stop and shelter has now been erected on the western side of the closed bridge.

“Last year it was advertised for design work or tendering for construction of a new bridge.

“This needs to happen sooner rather than later.

“It was mentioned for the 2014-15 estimates but I don’t think any funds have actually been allocated in the budget.”

Mr Phelps and his family have operated a farm tourism business on their property for nearly 20 years and while he admitted the closure of the road from the highway is affecting his business, it was the schoolchildren he was concerned about.

“They are the ones I worry about and the young mums who take their children to school and now have to take other siblings on the trek as well,” he said.

“My concern is also the possibility of a bushfire.

“We might be nice and green now after the recent rain but it would only take a few westerly winds and some hot temperatures for us to return to fire danger.

“If a fire was to come from the west I’m concerned we wouldn’t be able to get the kids out – they definitely wouldn’t be able to get up Parma Road as that’s where the fire would be coming from.”

CUT OFF: Parma Road resident David Phelps inspects the damage to the Parma Creek Bridge which has closed the road preventing access west from the Princes Highway.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.