FLOODED with offers from Group Nine clubs, quality playmaker Joe Williams has slammed the door on playing rugby league this year.
Back living in Wagga after several years away from the city, the former South Sydney halfback yesterday declared he had no intention of extending his highly-successful football career.
“I definitely won’t be playing (in 2013),” Williams said yesterday.
“Last year burnt me.”
Jaded after a taxing season as coach of Dubbo CYMS in 2012, Williams is adamant he will not be tempted by any Group Nine club to again pull on the boots.
“I’ve had calls from eight or nine (Group Nine) clubs,” he said.
“I’ve just said I won’t be playing at all.”
The decision to call it quits with rugby league will give Williams an interrupted path to fulfil his boxing ambitions.
Two weeks short of his first fight for 2013, Williams revealed he was reaping the benefits of again being trained by his father, Wilfred Williams.
“It’s only been two weeks but my condition has already gone through the roof,” he said.
“I’m really pleased.”
For Williams, an upcoming welterweight bout in Dubbo on February 23 will be a stepping stone to a more important fight in the Riverina in April.
Williams said he was counting down to a WBF junior welterweight bout against a formidable Sydney opponent in Cootamundra on April 20.
“That’s the fight I’m looking forward to,” Williams said.
“The guy is a real tough customer.”
The news Williams is not on the market for the upcoming Group Nine premiership will be blow to several clubs in particular.
At least four clubs were keen to pursue Williams to the hilt to acquire a key playmaker for the season and lift their chances of upstaging early favourite Albury for the Group Nine title.
NOT THIS YEAR: Former South Sydney halfback Joe Williams declared he has no intention of extending his football career this year.
This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on 苏州美睫培训.