南京夜网 24/08/2018

From fast food to fine dining: a world first for Warilla Maccas

McDonald’s Warilla is the first Maccas outlet in the world to offer plates, cutlery and table service with its dine-in meals.
Nanjing Night Net

The fast food giant’s global headquarters in Chicago has given the outlet the go-ahead to trial table service in a move that has gained international attention.

McDonald’s Warilla franchisees Glenn and Katia Dwarte came up with the idea after Mr Dwarte started serving his parents and mother-in-law meals that way during their weekly visits to the restaurant.

It immediately attracted the attention of other people who asked ‘‘How do I order that?’’

They took it a step further during a visit by McDonald’s Australia chief executive Catriona Noble just before Christmas when they pitched the idea and served her a meal with crockery and glassware.

Ms Noble thought it was such a good idea she contacted Chicago who gave the approval for a five-week trial which started on Monday.

Mrs Dwarte said the initial reaction from diners had been positive.

‘‘Most of the people who came in decided to try it,’’ she said.

‘‘Most were quite excited. We actually had a group of eight people who asked me to take a photo of them so they could put it on Facebook. We are also providing customer surveys so we can gauge the feedback.’’

Mr Dwarte said for the next month anyone ordering a Grand Angus, Big Mac or Chicken Deluxe meal to eat in on a Monday or Tuesday night between 5pm and 8pm at Warilla would have the option of having it delivered to their table with cutlery and on a plate.

Katia and Glenn Dwarte help James Dwarte and Renee Rodrigues dine in style at Warilla. Picture: DAVE TEASE

McDonald’s Chicago headquarters has even designed and produced a flyer promoting the service.

It is not the first time the Dwartes have created overseas interest in their franchise innovations.

‘‘Last week we had a visit from two people from America who came to have a look at our mobile ordering trial where people can download an app on their iPhone and can place and pay for it before they get here,’’ Mr Dwarte said.

Mrs Dwarte said corporate staff from many countries had visited the restaurant to see how the mobile ordering trial system was working and she now expected even more visits from McDonald’s corporate staff.

‘‘They are quite keen to see if this [mobile ordering] will take off,’’ she said.

‘‘And they were certainly aware we were doing this trial.’’

The Dwartes have owned the Warilla restaurant for 20 years.

Mrs Dwarte has been involved with McDonald’s since 1978 when she started working at McDonald’s Warrawong, the first in Australia with a drive-through service. The couple are also franchisees at Warrawong and Stockland Shellharbour.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

南京夜网 24/08/2018

25 years of Festivale

For its first seven years Launceston’s popular food and wine event Festivale was held in the city’s business district as a big street party.
Nanjing Night Net

Then it moved to historic City Park and will celebrate its 25th birthday in a venue most patrons agree is just about ideal.

Organising committee chairwoman Lou Clark said that making the move to City Park had been the making of Festivale.

“The focus of the event shifted to showcasing Tasmania’s renowned food and cool-climate wines,” Ms Clark said.

“This meant we had to move it out of the CBD to a more controlled space.

“In this day of social media we get a lot feedback and people talk about the great ambience and atmosphere in City Park.”

Charging an entry fee was a controversial issue with the move to City Park but had helped ensure the event’s financial viability and its reputation as an event for everyone.

“One of the things the committee has done is to work pretty hard to ensure that we have a safe and family-friendly event,” Ms Clark said.

Festivale has it origins in a multi-cultural food and social event organised by Paulene Gaetani at the Australian-Italian Club at Prospect in 1987 and probably also drew some inspiration from the Launceston Mardi Gras of the 1950s and ’60s that featured music, street theatre and parades.

The first mardi gras in 1953 was organised by the Launceston Junior Chamber of Commerce as part of celebrations for the centenary of municipal government in Tasmania.

The first Festivale in 1988 was organised as part of Australia’s bicentenary celebrations and the combination of food and drink and entertainment proved a hit.

Bruce England, who has served on the Festivale committee for 25 years (with five as chairman), was a member of the bicentenary committee.

The inaugural Festivale was so well received that it became an annual event organised by a hard-working committee of volunteers.

It is still run by volunteers who have also taken on the organisation of Launceston’s annual New Year’s Eve function in Royal Park.

“The turnover on the committee has been relatively low over the years,” Ms Clark said.

“People tend to stay on it for quite a long time, but there’s still been a lot of people involved over the years.”

As well as providing great entertainment and showcasing Tasmania’s best food, wine and beer, Festivale is important to the tourism industry.

Last year more than 35,000 people attended the three days of the event, which costs around $700,000 to stage.

The demographic is wide, from young families to retirees and everyone in between.

An annual survey of patrons, conducted by year 12 students from Scotch Oakburn College, found that more than 1000 attendees last year were from overseas and nearly 3000 were from interstate.

“Festivale has a strong and loyal following of patrons,” Ms Clark said.

“Our 2012 survey indicated that 69 per cent of patrons chose some form of commercial accommodation to stay in throughout the weekend of Festivale, with 19 per cent of patrons staying three nights or more and 14 per cent staying for two nights in commercial accommodation.”

And the 2012 survey found that 77 per cent of patrons strongly agreed they would attend future events.

“Festivale rates as one of the best food and wine festivals in Australia,” she said.

“In culinary terms I think we’ve got the recipe pretty right.”

FACT FILE

WHAT: Festivale.

WHERE: City Park, Launceston.

WHEN: Friday, 5.30pm to 10.45pm; Saturday, 11am to 10.45pm; Sunday, 10am to 4pm.

COST: Friday night $20, Saturday $20, Sunday $15. Children under 14 free if accompanied by an adult.

TICKETS: Launceston Travel and Information Centre or at the gate.

More information: www.festivale南京夜网.au.

Some of crowd at Festivale held in the streets of Launceston in 1991. The food and wine spectacular will celebrate 25 years this weekend.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

南京夜网 24/08/2018

Decision about proposed Narrabri grain facility

THE Northern Joint Regional Planning Panel (JRPP) will determine the fate of a development application to establish a $30 million grain-handling facility near Narrabri.
Nanjing Night Net

Narrabri Shire Council development and planning services manager Nick Wilton said the panel was expected to consider the application, along with another regarding the extension of a quarry, possibly in early March.

The $30 million grain-handling facility has been proposed by Queensland Cotton.

Mr Wilton said if the facility was approved it would be located 20km south of Narrabri, near the Narrabri Coal Project.

The other application is for the expansion of a gravel quarry proposed by Johnson’s Concrete and which is opposite Boral Concrete’s quarry.

“The expansion of the quarry is a result of increased demand on concrete and aggregate materials, following substantial increases in development activity, including within the mining industry in the Narrabri shire,” Mr Wilton said.

“Johnson’s Concrete had reached its capacity with respect to mining of aggregates in Moree shire and has strategically moved its quarry operations to Narrabri, due to sustained and strengthened demand.”

The expansion of the Wavehill Quarry on Wavehill Rd, about 15km south-east of town, would allow for 200,000 tonnes of materials per year to be extracted overall.

“The environmental impact statement for the quarry has to be assessed in a report prepared by the council to be submitted to the JRPP prior to the meeting date,” Mr Wilton said.

“Council has received a large number of submissions from concerned residents regarding the development, generally relating to dust on Wavehill Rd.

“The company will be required to demonstrate that there will be no additional cumulative impacts within the area of its operation and, further, will need to demonstrate acceptable levels of dust mitigation on local roads within the area.

“It would be council’s preference that a section 94 contribution be levied on the operation, to ensure future ongoing maintenance of the road and to enable sealing of the sections of road that are currently a gravel surface.”

The JRPP will determine the fate of a development application to establish a $30 million grain-handling facility near Narrabri.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

南京夜网 24/08/2018

POLL: First Responder plan ‘already operating’

A contentiousprogram that would enlist firefighters and emergency services volunteers to respond to Illawarra medical emergencies is already operating in 48 locations in NSW, including at Bundanoon in the Southern Highlands.
Nanjing Night Net

The Ambulance Service of NSW revealed details of existing Community First Responder arrangements yesterday after the Health Services Union warned its members could strike if the program was rolled out to city areas, as is being considered by the state government.

Personnel from Fire & Rescue NSW, the Rural Fire Service and State Emergency Service have received advanced first aid training and attended 2398 medical emergencies as Community First Responders (CFRs) in country areas in 2011-12.

MORE: Response plan ‘risk to public’

The first responders were called on when they were closer than the nearest available ambulance, and only after an ambulance had been dispatched, according to an Ambulance Service of NSW spokeswoman.

Create your free online surveys with SurveyMonkey, the world’s leading questionnaire tool.‘‘This program is not about replacing experienced paramedics,’’ she said. ‘‘It’s about supplementing response times to get to patients as soon as possible, in particular in those cases where every minute is crucial like a cardiac arrest.

‘‘Given the spread of Fire and Rescue officers, Rural Fire Service volunteers and SES crews across NSW it makes sense to use these resources to assist when they are not committed to fire suppression or other rescue activities, and where they can make a difference to patient care.’’

The spokeswoman said first responders were trained by ambulance clinical educators in advanced first aid.

They are trained in basic patient assessment and are able to administer limited medications such as pain relief. They are also able to give oxygen and use a defibrillator. They are equipped with a defibrillator and oxygen resuscitation pack and have communications with responding paramedics.

In the past nine days first responders have attended 20 medical emergencies statewide, including a car accident, a mental health issue and a complaint involving chest pains.

The case put forward by the ambulance service is at odds with that of Health Services Union secretary Gerard Hayes, who

said this week ‘‘only a clinically trained paramedic can arrive at an emergency with the tools and knowledge necessary to keep a suffering patient alive…our membership have had enough of this and will make their voice heard’’.

The union will hold rallies across the state next week.

Illawarra paramedics have also expressed concern the program is a cost-saving measure, aimed at covering staff shortages.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

南京夜网 24/08/2018

Widower pleads for firies to treat patients

A Shellharbour man has thrown his support behind plans to involve firefighters in medical emergencies after a harrowing night which robbed him of the love of his life.
Nanjing Night Net

Darren, who wants his identity protected, said he waited 25 minutes for paramedics to arrive when his fiancee collapsed at an Illawarra venue.

A defibrillator was placed by her side, but there was no-one working at the establishment that night trained to use it.

‘‘She was singing, laughing, having a good night, then the next thing she passed out, fell to the floor and then she was dead,’’ Darren said yesterday.

‘‘The ambulance was stuck on another job.

‘‘This is not about giving paramedics a hard time. But I would have been relieved to see a firie trying valiantly to save my fiancee. Somebody working on her doing something, anything is better than nothing,’’ he said.

MORE: Response plan ‘risk to public’

The man shared details of the worst night of his life – March 24 last year – because he feels strongly about the proposal to allow Fire and Rescue NSW officers to treat patients when paramedics are unavailable.

Under the plan being considered by the state government, Rural Fire Service and State Emergency Service volunteers could also be tasked to patients in the Illawarra.

‘‘It’s not about replacing them [paramedics]. The problem is we need more of them, more doctors, more nurses, more police. But the fact is, there are always problems getting ambulances.

‘‘They are so busy and get stuck on jobs, they’re understaffed, so why shouldn’t we have another option?

‘‘That night was the absolute worst night of my life. I don’t want anyone to have to sit there waiting and watching someone they love die without being able to do a thing.

‘‘Here was a defibrillator sitting right there, but there was no-one trained to use it.

‘‘Sadly my partner of 10 years, my best friend, passed away.’’

Darren said firefighters were already trained to use defibrillators so the plan made sense.

‘‘They have fairly advanced emergency kits with oxygen in their trucks and they have essential first aid training,’’ he said.

‘‘If the ambos get there, good, if the firies get there before them, let them get to work.’’

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.